There are people who said that women should not have sex during menstruation. Have sexual intercourse during menstruation can bring serious health problems. Many people believed that women were “dirty” or “unclean” while menstruating. Because of this reason, have sex with menstruating women is prohibited by some religion. To make this clear, we will give some explanation about the facts of sex during menstruation.
Risk of Having Sex During Your Period
Although sex still can be done even during menstrual period, it can cause some problems in your reproduction organ. Based on what was described by Laura Berman, Phd, a sex expert and therapist in the Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, sex during period can lead to some risk of health problems.
- Woman will have higher risk to have transmission of sexually transmitted diseases during menstruation than normal days. This is because during menstruation, the cervix opens so the menstrual blood can come out. The opening cervix will allow bacteria to enter and spread to the pelvic cavity.
- Women are also more likely to have HIV and hepatitis through sexual contact from their partner during the menstrual period.
- Bacterial infections can also occur during menstruation, because the pH (acidity) of the vagina changes compared to the days before or after menstruation.
Is Sex During Menstrual Period Safe?
Actually, having sex during menstruation is not at all unsafe. The only risk you have to worry is if your partner have sexually transmitted disease (STD). So it's recommended to use protection when you want to do sexual intercourse during your period.
The Benefit of Sex During Menstrual Period
Sex during menstruation actually can help to ease the symptoms of PMS (premenstrual syndrome). Orgasms can ease the cramps and uterus contractions and can be as painkillers during your period. Many women also enjoy sex more during their period because of increased feelings of fullness in the pelvic and genital areas.
Sex During Menstruation Still Can Cause Pregnancy
There is a growing myth that if woman had sexual intercourse during menstruation, she will not get pregnant. This method is really wrong and dangerous. According to Dr. Berman, a woman can still become pregnant when having sex during menstruation. So, it's advisable not to use this way as birth control.
Tips to Have Safe Sex During Your period
- Make sure to use condom when you want to have sex during your period
- Place a towel down underneath you if you worry there will be blood will stain your sheet.
- You can also have sex in the bathroom. So the blood will immediately swept away.
- You can also try to have oral sex if you still worry for intercourse.
Incoming search terms:
- air coming out of vagina during menstruation
- bathing during menstruation