This is a common question that frequently asked by pregnant women. Is it okay to travel by plane when a woman is pregnant? Some time ago, in my country, there is a mother who gave birth on plane. That stressful events occurred when Harmani who travel by Merpati Nusantara Airlines complained of heartburn and waist pain when the airplane is on the air. Her clothes got wet and she's bleeding that time. One flight attendant took the initiative to undress her clothes. Apparently, there is the baby's head coming out. Fortunately, one of the passengers were students majoring in nursing. The struggle of the mother to deliver her baby happen for 30 minutes.
Unfortunately, despite receiving treatment in hospital, the baby girl finally died because of hiptermia, the condition when the body struggles to overcome cold.
According to the specialist Dr. Agus Sulistyono SpOG, the incident can not be predicted. Therefore, it is clear Harmani eligible to fly. It was confirmed by a letter from the airport doctor. But, it seems, Harmani experiencing early contractions. There's a lot of thing that triggers contraction. Tiredness is one of them.
There are several criteria for pregnant women to be allowed on a plane. First, pregnant women who are not classified as high-risk pregnant women. For example, she did not develop pre-eclampsia (hypertension in pregnancy), have a history of bleeding, or frequent uterine contractions. Second, pregnant women gestational age is not more than 34 weeks.
Pregnant women ideally should not do a lot of activity during traveling. For example, heavy lifting or walk in long distance. If pregnant woman do a lot of activity, it is likely that the probability of stress during travel will be increase. Production of the hormone cortisol will also increase. The hormone could be the one that can trigger contractions. Though the contraction is something that pregnant woman should avoid.
During the first trimester, pregnant women is reluctant to miscarriage and DVT (deep vein trombose), clots in the blood vessels due to lack of movement. If you really experience DVT, a blood clot can break and flows along the blood circulation to vital organs. When the second trimester, DVT and miscarriage are the risk you must aware when traveling, meanwhile during third trimester, the risk of preterm labor will be increase.
If you really have to go by plane during your pregnancy, here some tips about what to prepare when you yo go traveling by plane :
1. See a doctor and ask for a letter of recommendation to fly
2. Take medicines from your doctor (drink them according to the rules)
3. Drink enough water
4. If necessary, bring a small pillow or a doll for comfort
5. Wear something comfortable, not tight
6. Try asking in a row aisle seat so you can moves more freely
7. There is a risk of DVT during pregnancy. Anticipate it by using stockings
8. Use the seat belt under the abdomen and groin crossing
Incoming search terms:
- how many weeks pregnant is allowed in airplane to travel
- when is a pregnant woman allowed to travel
- when do pregnant women allowed to travel
- weeks pregnant not allowed on airplane
- pregnant woman is allowed in a plane